Saturday, January 29, 2011

Land & Water Forms

 



This is a project I was inspired to make from another blog mom – hers looked so awesome!!  These were kind of fun to make.  I bought the trays from the dollar store.  I decided to try and mould the sides in modeling clay and then to pour the moulds with plaster.  This worked amazingly well.  When it dried, I simply pulled away to clay, and it left behind clean crisp moulds.  I spray primed the entire trays really well.  Then I sprayed them blue, and finally gave them a few clear coats to be sure they were water tight.  I did buy the wood sandpaper cards, and printed the nomenclature.  You can see that we also construct our own out of play dough in trays to further this work.
Land & Water Nomenclature Cards can be found for free here & here & here and command/lesson cards here also.  
You can make the sandpaper cards or you can purchase them for $18 here.
Should you want to buy these you can find them reasonably priced here.
This is a fantastic blog with diy Geography materials!!!
You can find lots of great activities to add in from here.
 


6 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you make it sound so easy! I am getting nervous just thinking about making these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I would suggest is putting a piece of cloth or something in between when you store them to keep them from chipping.
    Send me a link when you get them done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I am thinking I couuld maybe do these :) I was considering JUST having my kiddos make them on their own with modeling clay when we covered this, and that would be a good idea, but this sounds easy enough that it might just work! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily do that!!! There are many ideas out there for this work. If you make them let me know how they turn out!! We did some early introductions with the trays, but will be using them again and going into more detail very soon:)

      Delete

I greatly appreciate your friendly comments and feedback. I love to see what others are making, so please feel free to include a links and share your site with us!!! If you have any questions regarding any of the materials we have made...I'd love to help!!! Thank you for visiting us:)